Bushwalking is so much more than throwing a pack on your back and putting one foot in front of the other. Through providing opportunities to explore a diverse range of environments by foot, we can offer an adventurous activity that creates opportunities to develop character, relationships, resilience and confidence.
Bushwalking should never be seen as a given ability, but rather a sought-after skill. One that can be constantly developed, challenged and rewarded. Bushwalking has always been and will continue to remain a core component of Scouting right across the world which enables life long memories of adventure.
The Scouts SA Bushwalking Team exists to provide these adventurous and diverse bushwalking opportunities to Scouts and Leaders of all backgrounds. We achieve this through a commitment to providing extensive training to recognised standards. We’re committed to creating opportunities for all people to explore the landscapes locally, nationally and internationally.
- We’re passionate about bushwalking because of its many benefits, including:
- Fun and Enjoyment
- Wonderful Nature Experiences
- Sense of Achievement/Completion
- The Thrill of Exploration
- Challenging Yourself
- Fitness and Exercise
- Physical and Mental Stimulation
- Social Gathering or Solitude or Both
- Escape from Everyday Routine
- Develop Teamwork and Leadership Skills
- Exercise Problem Solving Abilities
What Can Our Team Offer?
We’re available to help with any idea, request or requirement relevant to bushwalking.
Our interest is equally shared with both metropolitan and rural Scout Groups.
Some of the opportunities we can provide, but are not limited to, include:
- Bushwalking Leader Training – Both Scout and VET Qualifications
- Support for Scout Medallion, Queen Scout and Baden Powell badge work.
- Advice/Support to groups on organising Day and Multi-Day Walks
- Organisation of Branch Day and Multi-Day Walks
- Logistical, Technical, Planning and Equipment Advice
- Equipment Hire (through Scout Outdoor Centre)
Our Standards of Excellence
The bushwalking team is proud of the standards of excellence that we set ourselves and constantly seek to achieve.
When working with us, you can expect us to be:
We provide Bushwalking and Common Core training through the Scouts Australia Institute of Training (SAIT) in alignment with VET (SIS10) Qualifications. This training is available to Venturers, Rovers and Adult Leaders.
The training we provide is a much more comprehensive and recognised extension of your Basic Leader Training – Outdoor Skills.
Depending on the level which you strive for, our training enables you to lead Bushwalking expeditions in local and remote locations, non-extreme and extreme environments, on tracked and un-marked terrain, for a range of distances and over a culmination of nights.
Up Coming Training
There are currently no training programs planned, however please check back soon as we’re currently planning for 2018.
Interested in Joining Our Team?
We’re always looking for interested and competent people to join our growing team.
There are a range of opportunities to be involved including leading and assisting with training programs, bushwalking expeditions, day walks, resource and standard development and much more.
If this sounds like you, we’d love to chat with you about opportunities for you to get involved.
Modified:07th Nov 2017